We insure the structure of your home against damage. This is called Buildings Insurance. Buildings insurance does not cover your contents (furniture, clothes, bedding, carpets, appliances, etc), personal belongings or the decoration of your home. If you have a fire or flood and you do not have your own house contents insurance you could face a financial disaster.

We strongly recommend that you take out comprehensive house contents insurance to cover your belongings for damage or loss as a result of fire, flood or theft. You should check any insurance policy carefully to make sure that it covers you properly and that you are insured for the correct amount. Remember how much it would cost you to replace your belongings if you lost them.